Early on the evening of 27 June, President Gordon B. Hinckley dedicated the Nauvoo Illinois Temple in a session broadcast to thousands of members participating in 72 countries. He was to oversee the successful conclusion of the project and dedicate the edifice if the Twelve were unable to return. The temple was privately dedicated April 30, 1846 with a public dedication the next day. He prayed that God would sustain and deliver his servants from their enemies until they could accomplish his will in the temple. April 30, 1846 -- Private dedication held with a dedicatory prayer by Orson Hyde. We thank Thee that Thou hast given us strength to accomplish the charges delivered by Thee. Met at sundown in the temple for prayers as usual, after which (with our clothing) we repaired to the lower room for the purpose of Dedicating the same. On June 27, 2002, Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, dedicated the Nauvoo Temple. They left behind only a small portion of the original population, around 640 persons consisting mainly of the poor, the sick, the aged, and single mothers with their children. Following the conclusion of this vision of Christ, the account goes on to tell of Smith and Cowdery then receiving visions of Moses, Elias and Elijah. Orson Hyde read the dedicatory prayer. “I was in Nauvoo on the 26th day of May 1846 for the last time, and left the city of the Saints feeling that most likely I was taking a final farewell of Nauvoo for this life. There are also facilities for patrons to freshen up and … Brigham Young University Most people who visit Historic Nauvoo stop here to view introductory films, obtain information about individual sites, rest on a hot day, or participate in special seasonal events. No chapels existed in Nauvoo for worship services, and office space for administrative needs was either limited or nonexistent. The Nauvoo Illinois Temple, a throwback to the four room layout, is the sole exception, as it has the four-room progressive format with murals decorating the first three rooms. See more ideas about nauvoo temple, nauvoo, temple. . I was one of three who was appointed to seat the congregation, in the house, and stood part of the time at the door to receive tickets. Nauvoo Illinois Temple, Nauvoo, IL. The new temple is built on the same site and to virtually the same exterior specifications and design as the original Nauvoo Temple. Without a doubt, the rebuilding of the Nauvoo Temple will be recorded as one of the great events in Latter-day Saint history. .  David R. Crockett, Saints in Exile (Tucson: LDS Gems, 1996), 295; Deseret News 1999–2000 Church Almanac (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1998), 463. . Nauvoo Temple dedication Showing 1-13 of 13 messages. Religious Center Ongoing doctrinal revelation, increasing population growth of the membership, and external pressures resulted in ‘outside-the-box’ action to bring the ordinances of the temple to an anxious church membership. In 1850, the walls were terribly damaged by a tornado, leaving the west fa… Nauvoo Temple Dedication Almighty God, we come unto Thee in solemn and reverent prayer in the name of Thy Beloved Son, our Redeemer, even the Lord Jesus Christ. When the main body of the church was forced out of Nauvoo, Illinois, in the winter of 1846, the church attempted to sell the building, finally succeeding in 1848. May 1-3, 1846 -- Public dedication ceremony, with dedicatory prayer offered by Orson Hyde. Brigham Young dedicated it in appropriate ceremonies at 5 p.m. on 8 November 1841. . Adjusting for daylight savings time, even the hour was the same. The date of the dedication was historically significant . Music and the Spoken Word normally originates live on Sunday mornings from the Tabernacle on Temple Square in Salt Lake City. It was clearly designed to resemble its predecessor, and you can imagine how imposing the … NAUVOO, Ill. — Dedicated to the Lord by President Gordon B. Hinckley, the Nauvoo Illinois Temple stands as a memorial to Joseph Smith and early Church members who sacrificed much during the opening chapters of the history of the Restoration. Sept. 1846 -- Church driven out of Nauvoo, temple abandoned. Like Kirtland, the … By September 1846 all the Latter-day Saints had been driven from the city. 50 North Wells Street Nauvoo, Illinois 62354 Mailing Address: P.O. On June 27, 2002, Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, dedicated the Nauvoo Temple. The Book of Mormon: The Heart of Missionary Proselyting, Knowing What You Believe, Believing What You Know, In Beauty and Holiness: The Cultural Arts in Nauvoo, Excerpts from The Charted Course of the Church in Education, President Hinckley Addresses L. A. October 15, 2002 . During the closing moments of the dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple on June 30, 2002, President Gordon B. Hinckley noted it was “a very hot day” in Nauvoo. The Nauvoo Temple Dedication Page The Nauvoo Illinois Temple was dedicated on 27 June 2002, with subsequent dedication sessions held through 30 June 2002. Don F. Colvin, “The Dedication of the Temple,” in Nauvoo Temple: A Story of Faith (Provo, UT: Religious Studies Center, 2002), 245–51. Holy and Everlasting Father, before Thee this morning we present ourselves and acknowledge Thy mercy that has been extended to us since we have been on Thy footstool, and for this opportunity of dedicating this house. They have done so with love and a wonderful spirit of consecrated effort.â, President Hinckley added: âBless this city of Nauvoo, which came to be known as the city of Joseph. President Brigham Young “opened the services of the day by a dedicatory prayer, presenting the Temple, thus far completed, as a monument of the saints’ liberality, fidelity, and faith, concluding: "Lord, we dedicate this house and ourselves, to thee.’"  Following this dedication, Sunday worship services, prayer meetings, and administrative meetings were conducted regularly in the temple. According to The Nauvoo Temple: “A Monument of the Saints,” another man saw the belfry appear to be on fire at around 9:45 p.m., but when he reached the temple, it was unharmed, dark, and secure. On this same site in the year 1841, Thy people, under the direction of the Prophet Joseph Smith, and in obedience to revelation from Thee, began construction of a temple to the Most High. We knelt around the altar, and dedicated the building to the Most High. In 1999, church elders announced the Nauvoo temple would be rebuilt, and the new structure was dedicated in 2002. day of May, 1846. Dedication of the Temple of God in the city of Nauvoo This splendid edifice is now completed, and will be dedicated to the Most High God on Friday, the 1st. The Nauvoo Temple dedication was certainly singular in the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. [ citation needed ] Open house and dedication … We love Thee, Father. Nauvoo Temple Dedication. SALT LAKE CITY - The reconstructed Nauvoo, Ill., Temple will be dedicated June 27, 2002. Music for the dedicatory sessions was provided by members of the Tabernacle Choir and by choirs of local Latter-day Saints. Located in the town of Nauvoo, the temple's construction was announced on April 4, 1999, by LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley. The majestic building is a faithful reproduction of the original Nauvoo Temple built by settlers of the Church in the 1840s and destroyed by arson fire in 1848 and tornado-force winds in 1850. Temple Arrival Center. Jul 25, 2013 - Explore Nauvoo Family Inn & Suites's board "Nauvoo Temple" on Pinterest. Only four years after the Nauvoo Temple was dedicated, it lay in ruins. The resolution was adopted by a unanimous vote. The final formal dedication of the temple took place after most members of the Church had left the city. It occupied a city block bounded by Woodruff, Mulholland, Knight, and Wells streets. That makes it obvious that Smith invented his lie about Avard being the Danites' founder because Smith was at the time, incarcerated in Liberty Jail awaiting trial, and he needed someone to shift blame for … May this sacred house stand as a memorial to him who lived here and was buried here, Joseph Smith, the great prophet of this dispensation, and his brother Hyrum, whom he loved.â. There's a story about Orson Hyde, W. Woodruff, Joseph Young, & W. W. Phelps were in the company. Featuring Enoch Train as guest artists, this historic program commemorates the dedication of the reconstructed Nauvoo Illinois Temple and recalls the sacrifices of the early Latter-day Saints who built the original temple on the banks of the Mississippi. Visitors included prominent business and government leaders as well as officials from other religious faiths. During the concluding moments of the [Nauvoo Temple] dedication, President Hinckley noted that it was “a very hot day” in Nauvoo. By the time London-trained artist Frederick Piercy traveled through Nauvoo in 1853, a crumbling facade was all that remained of the Nauvoo Temple. ). The public dedication began in the morning on the following day, 1 May 1846. Thy Spirit has brooded over us and moved upon us, and in obedience to its promptings we have now reconstructed on this hallowed ground the temple that once stood here.â He petitioned: âWe pray that Thou wilt accept of this our offering. An alarm was sounded, and many men ran to the rescue. I returned home thankful for the privilege of Assisting in the dedication of the Temple of Lord. My Journal Reflections of that Day . . May 1-3, 1846 -- Public dedication ceremony, with dedicatory prayer offered by Orson Hyde. May 1-3, 1846 -- Public dedication ceremony, with dedicatory prayer offered by Orson Hyde. The temple took just over two years to complete and sits on the same site as the original Nauvoo Temple. May this sacred house stand as a memorial to him who lived here and was buried here, Joseph Smith, the great prophet of this dispensation, and his brother Hyrum, whom he loved. "The Temple was dedicated in the presence of strangers and all who would pay one dollar for admittance." After some conversation and singing a prayer circle was formed immediately in front of the Melchisedeck stand, O. Hyde was President, and Joseph Young, Mouth after which those present were seated in the stands to represent the order of the priest hood, myself being seated in the Teachers stand, and a Dedication prayer was offered by O. Hyde, to which all responded "amen." In October 1848, arsonists’ fire left only the limestone outer walls intact. The rebuilt Nauvoo Temple was dedicated June 27-30, with 19,958 members attending in Nauvoo. During the services a resolution was passed that called for the sale of the temple, with the funds to be used for removing the poor to the main body of the Saints in the West. Since the Latter-day Saints were driven from Nauvoo in the mid-1840s and embarked on a 1,300-mile exodus from Nauvoo to the Rocky Mountains, the Church has grown to more than … Through television cameras and the satellite broadcast, members were able to view the proceedings and look into the beautiful new temple from meetinghouses around the world.  A new date was set for the completion, and the committee issued an announcement of the intended dedication. Andersen. In the dedicatory prayer he offered on the temple, President Hinckley said: âWe thank Thee that those harsh days are now long past. Abandoned to the Mobs Following the temple dedication of May 1846, most Latter-day Saints still in Nauvoo departed to join their friends and families on the prairies of Iowa.  Journal History, 9 March 1846, LDS Church Archives. The Nauvoo Illinois Temple stands on a high bluff overlooking a bend in the Mississippi River.  This portion of the building was then used for council meetings, quorum leadership meetings, and more importantly for endowment ordinances, eternal marriages, and sealings. 1 May 1846 -- Public dedication of the temple under the direction of Apostles Orson Hyde and Wilford Woodruff. The date of the dedication was historically significant as it marked the 158th anniversary of Joseph Smith’s martyrdom. Sept. 1846 -- Church driven out of Nauvoo, temple abandoned. Crowds line up for the Nauvoo Temple's first dedication session Thursday afternoon. On 5 October 1845 the first and only official general conference of the Church ever held in the enclosed building took place. (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1957), 4:446. Temple stone is often given away as souvenirs after the dedication of the temple. On 6 April 1841, the temple's cornerstone was laid under the direction of Joseph Smith, Jr., the church's restorer. (Photo by Craig Dimond. The reason, according to Joseph (see Nauvoo discourses in Words of Joseph Smith) was that the Saints thought that building brick houses, a masonic temple, and other speculations were of higher importance than giving their time and money to the temple. When was the Nauvoo Temple dedicated? Bless this city of Nauvoo, which came to be known as the City of Joseph. It is a scrap piece of stone leftover from the original construction. Located in the town of Nauvoo, the temple's construction was announced on April 4, 1999, by LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley. Banks of the Presidency of the Seventy; Bishop H. David Burton, Presiding Bishop; and Margaret D. Nadauld, Young Women general president. While many of the Saints left Nauvoo in the early spring of 1846 under threat of mob violence, a special crew stayed behind to complete the temple. The Saints were also anxious to perform their temple ordinance work at the earliest opportunity. The dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple was delivered over the Church's encrypted satellite system to Church buildings around the world. Crowds line up for the Nauvoo Temple's first dedication session Thursday afternoon. Ongoing doctrinal revelation, increasing population growth of the membership, and external pressures resulted in ‘outside-the-box’ action to bring the ordinances of the temple to an anxious church membership. Nauvoo Temple Dedication. On Sunday, 30 November 1845, the newly completed attic story was dedicated. This temple, which was such an integral part of the Lord's work, was not completed before Joseph Smith died a martyr. . The dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple is significant because this building is in large part a re-creation of the temple that the Prophet Joseph Smith had located on this bluff overlooking the Mississippi River. Accept of us we pray Thee, inspire every bosom to do Thy will, cause that truth may lead them for the glorious coming of the Son of God when you come in the name of the King, the Lord of Hosts shall be the King. Provo, UT 84602 This official dedication was held privately as a sacred and reverent occasion by selected Church leaders. Orson Hyde read the dedicatory prayer. On June 27, 2002, Gordon B. Hinckley, President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, dedicated the Nauvoo Temple. The Saints in Nauvoo felt a great need for the facilities offered by the temple. (Photo by Welden C. . The meeting was called to order at noon, and William Clayton was requested to keep minutes of the proceedings. Elden J. Watson (Salt Lake City: E. J. Watson, 1971), 1 May 1846. Nauvoo Temple Dedication Any temple dedication is special, but the dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple carries with it a special meaning that touched the hearts of Church members all over the world. Temple Dedication set June 27, 2002. Construction of the Nauvoo Temple began in the spring of 1841 on a hilltop overlooking the Mississippi River. A little more than 156 years after early mem bers fled amid factional violence, a gleaming white limestone edifice stands in the place where an earlier Nauvoo Temple was destroyed. In 1999, church president Gordon B. Hinckleyannounced the rebuilding of the temple on its original footprint. Gather us in Thy kingdom through Jesus Christ, our Lord, Amen. Also note that the Palymra Temple dedication was also the first temple dedication to be broadcast (only to America & Canada, the Nauvoo Temple 2 years later was the first to be broadcast worldwide). 1 May 1846 -- Public dedication of the temple under the direction of Apostles Orson Hyde and Wilford Woodruff. , President Brigham Young, though not present in person, made this observation: “Elder Joseph Young offered up the dedicatory prayer, dedicating the Temple and all that pertained thereto to the Lord, as an offering to Him as an evidence of the willingness of his people to fulfill his commandments and build His holy house, even at the risk of their lives, and the sacrifice of all their labor and earthly goods. April 30, 1846 -- Private dedication held with a dedicatory prayer by Orson Hyde. The dedication of the Nauvoo Illinois Temple is significant because this building is in large part a re-creation of the temple that the Prophet Joseph Smith had located on this bluff overlooking the Mississippi River.